In 1757, at the time of the Pombaline demarcations, there were already vines planted at Romaneira. In 1844, Vilaça Bacelar, a priest, inherited the land of Romaneira, and did not escape the attention of Baron Forrester when he created his famous engraving of the “Rua Nova dos Ingleses” in Porto. Padre Vilaça Bacelar is among the few Portuguese characters to be included in this portrait of notable Port producers, surrounded of course by numerous English producers. Romaneira also appears in the famous Baron Forrester map produced in 1843, with the name of “Quinta dos Reis”. Later, Joaquim de Souza Guimarães (whose initials are engraved over the entry of one of the Quinta houses), produced the Romaneira Port wines of 1861 and 1863, which the famous London auction house of Christie’s offered for sale in 1872. It was a clear indication of the status that the Romaneira name had acquired, being the first individual Quinta wine to be auctioned in this way.
In 1942, Arnaldo Monteiro de Barros acquired Romaneira, and integrated several neighbouring Quintas into the estate. Romaneira as a result became an enormous property by the standards of the region. In 2004, Christian Seely turned a dream into reality, bringing together a group of investors to acquire Romaneira, the property by this stage consisting of 412 hectares. A profound renovation of the vineyard and winemaking facilities was undertaken. Towards the end of 2012, André Esteves, the Brazilian businessman, became a partner at Romaneira. Today with the two partners Esteves and Seely sharing the same passion for the Douro and the same dream for the Quinta, Romaneira is consolidating its position as one of the elite wine producers of the Douro. Romaneira today, at the time of its 260th anniversary, is experiencing the best moment in its history. Many of the parcels still retain the names of the Quintas that were brought together to form Romaneira: Liceiras, Carrapata, Malhadal, Barca, Bairral and Pulga