18th & 19th CENTURIES
In 1757, at the time of the Pombaline demarcations, there were already parcels of vineyards as well as some of the Quintas that would become part of Romaneira. Thus, 1757 is only the year of the official registration of the Quinta (made at the time of such demarcations decided by the Marquis of Pombal), since the vines would have been planted a few decades before.
Father Vilaça Bacelar inherited the lands of Romaneira in 1844 and did not go unnoticed by Joseph James Forrester when he created his engraving of Rua Nova dos Ingleses (today, Rua Infante D. Henrique). The priest is among the few Portuguese figures residing in Porto to be portrayed, obviously accompanied by countless Englishmen. Interestingly, Romaneira has, since 2011, its commercial office on that same street in the city of Porto. Romaneira also appears on the famous Map of the Baron of Forrester, dated 1843, with the name "Quinta dos Reis". The abundance of Rosemary will later give the property its current name.
Still in the 19th Century, Joaquim de Souza Guimarães (whose initials are present at the top of the gate of one of the Quinta's houses, dating from 1854) had the glory of having produced the Port wines of 1861 and 1863, that the British auction house “Christie's” offered for sale in 1872. It was a clear indication of the brand's prestige, considering it was the first Single Quinta Port to be auctioned there.
Various references are made to the property in works by great authors of the 19th century, such as Henry Vizetelly, who was dedicated to the study of Port Wine. The Viscount of Vila Maior also classifies Romaneira wine as "one of the best in the Douro, notable for its smoothness, body and aroma". The same Viscount referred that the Tempranillo grape variety was originally imported from Spain and introduced for the first time in the Douro at Romaneira, later being called Tinta Roriz.
In 1942, Arnaldo Dias Monteiro de Barros acquired Romaneira, integrating several neighboring Quintas that he acquired in the meantime, which made Romaneira an extremely large property by Douro standards.
In 2004, Christian Seely (responsible, since 1993, for the rebirth of another distinctive property in the Douro, Quinta do Noval) turns his dream into reality, bringing together a group of investors to make the acquisition of Romaneira, a property with 412 hectares and more than 3 kilometers of river front. Since that time, Romaneira has benefitted from very extensive renovation, rebuilding and replanting.
In late 2012, André Esteves, Brazilian businessman, also in love with the Douro region, became the principal shareholder of Romaneira, in partnership with Christian Seely. With the two partners sharing the same dream, the Quinta has since consolidated its position amont the elite producers of wines and Ports in the Douro. Quinta da Romaneira is today, after more than 260 years of existence, expressing through its wines the full potential grandeur of its historic terroir. Many of the vineyard plots continue to bear the name of the old pre-phyloxeric estates that were originally acquired to create the vineyard of Romaneira as it exists today: Liceiras, Carrapata, Malhadal, Barca, Bairral and Pulga - most of them classified in the 1757 Pombaline demarcations as producers of “Vinho de Feitoria” (the highest quality at that time - with export capacity through Porto’s “Feitoria Inglesa”).